Sunday, March 05, 2006

Spaghetti a la Hobo


Last night I got creative with the left overs. OK some of them were pretty high end, particularly the Jamon, but still it was a bold session of winging it.

First I chopped up a sad half an onion. Then the aforementioned ham. Hey, I've fallen in love with using scissors in the kitchen, it made quick work of an aging but still tasty, sort low level Jamon Serrano. OK, there was a scrawny weeny in the fridge too and rather than look at for the rest of my life I sniped that up as well. To be honest weenies will not be visiting this dish again...

In to the magic cast iron skillet it all went, of course with a little olive oil. I should have done the onions separately but who's counting.

Now comes the free form section. I tossed in some left over spaghetti, stirred it around and hey it looked pretty good but it certainly wasn't dangerous and out there and I suspect has been on Italian farm tables for 500 years. So to shake it up I broke 2 eggs, added some pre-grated bag guyere to the noodles and commenced to moving the stuff around the pan with two wooden spoons. After the eggs looked more of less cooked I sprinked on some Parmesan and tested the concoction on Zoe who gave it a favorable review by cleaning her plate and asking for more.

Alas this was not possible because there was just enough for moi. OK, I did slip her a few strands of pasta. Like I said, the only mistake was the old hot dog. Maybe spaghetti and hot dogs go together in the world of "Franco-American" but not in my kitchen. Hey no disrespect meant to "Spaghetti Os." I used to love that stuff. Who would of thought it, spaghetti in a can. Post war America was soooo easy.

No comments: