Sunday, April 23, 2006

Arroz Griego a la Saharawi

OK another adventure in leftovers. Thanks to the Saharawi Diet, I am always hungry. And for whatever reason at this moment in time I can eat, and eat and eat and have no physical consequences like a spare tire, a big butt or god forbid, a double chin. The end result is that I raid the refridgerator frequently. So amongst the jelly jars and pickles I sound some leftover rice, eggs, feta cheese, big fat acitunas verde and a hankerin' to chow down.

I started by frying the green olive pieces over fairly high heat in a little olive oil. Olive whacking secret: 1. Place olive on cutting board. 2. Take big knife and place flat side against the olive. 3. Take your fist and pound once or twice on the knife which smashes the olive into either pieces or mush, depending on the variety. It works even better for garlic.

Then I added maybe a cup of pre-cooked white rice. "Pre-cooked"... very important. Whilst this was transpiring I took an egg and whisked it with a little water (why water and not milk? Well milk just didn't seem very Greek to me) until it was nice and yellow and foamy, french omelete style. I lowered the heat to low and tossed this in with the rice and the olives and moved them all vigorously around the pan.

Finally I added some feta that I had previously chopped into 1/2" cubes. I covered the pan for a couple of minutes to soften but not melt the cheese. A little salt, a little pepper, OPAH! Lunch is served!

I tried it on Zoe a couple of nights later subsituting black olives for the green ones, adding some chopped up Jamon and leaving out the feta. She no like feta. Let's call that one Arroz Andaluz a la Frigador. She loved it. What a girl!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»