Sunday, February 11, 2007

Planes and Trains

So I flew from Madrid to Hamburg then Hamburg to Paris the to Buenos Aires. I lose track of the hours on long hauls like this. It becomes so abstract. I did watch 2 great movies... if only I could remember them... OK, sorry Steven Frears Queen and Clint Eastwood's, "Flags of our Fathers". "Queen" was terrific and I've had this Helen Mirren thing for a very long time. It's nice age with someone you love. Even if they don't know you exist. I'll say this about the flight... Air France's food was terrific, which is not always the case. And I really loved the dignified but attentive service. I felt so adult. It beats begging for another micro-bag of peanuts to go with your 4 buck mini can of coke.

Airports are all basically the same. They suck. OK there are a few exceptions, Barcelona being one of them and Portland, Oregon, my home town, being another. Why are train stations so romantic and evocative and airports so ugly and inhumane? Truthfully Barcelona Sants Station isn't exactly Grand Central and for most part has taken the best attributes of a Greyhound bus terminal, like sticky floors and dirty toilets, and just made them bigger and grimier. However Estacion de Francia (BCN's other station) is a modernista jewel, and hardly ever used. Go Figure. Having said all that Buenos Aires Airport is just another poorly constructed giant box with planes.

No comments: