Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Revisiting the Velvet Bowels of Advertising Part 5: Cel One Food and Cities

Here's the final 2 spots from the Cel One campaign. Again, I'm amazed at the writing. Carl you should be writing books. Heck maybe you are? But then again maybe your talents are best represented in this medium. 30 second chunks of perfection...

The thing is I think ideas work in succession and that creativity is really viral. The client wants to sell something. The agency wants the client. The agency wants to do good work. They hire talented people to come up with the creative stuff. The talented people come up with ideas. The director reads the script. he thinks of ducks and little smokies and grilled cheese sandwiches served in his Grandmas fish plates which were given as a Starkist Tuna promotion 5O years ago. 1. Without the product there would be no reason for this work. 2. Without the writer there would be no idea. And 3., without the director there would be no sushi on the set... just kidding. It's a big stew. And when the ingredients are good and combined with care the stew is really tastey. And is again more than the sum of its parts.

The thing about spots is that when they are good they work on many levels. The client gets to sell something. The agency gets to be successful and grow and offer a space for creative types to work. The creative types get something to be creative to do and exercise their poetic craftsman muscles and directors and actors and the crew get to add there skills to the mix and work on stuff that they are proud of. An everybody can pay there bills and hold there head high and have things to talk about.

Mona Mensing, wardrobe stylist, would like her work to be mentioned. I am happy to comply. Here's the deal. Often as a director people want you to have an opinion about everything. Which cup, what color and sometimes which socks. Listen, I don't know everything. I don't know which collar is currently fashonable. I don't know that you don't wear 2 different plaids. I don't know that it's not OK to wear a brown belt with black shoes. And again I really want the end result to be more than the sum of it's parts. OK the little man inside might hop out at any point and say that putting a towel on the shoulder of the talent is really dopey but I want the people that work with me to have a point of view. Maybe I'm just lazy. Mona always did an amazing job on wardrobe. She had a point of view. She always got it and I guess got me. She made it easy and her finger prints are all over the spots. Thanks deary I still have Moultrie's cardigan and I right now I'm wearing the bathrobe you made for "Oregon Lottery Christmas". Is this admitting that I steal things from shoots? Yeah. doesn't everyone?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oooo thanks robin i miss you and i am using your comment on my soon to be new website k?