Sunday, January 13, 2008

Snowboarding for fun and profit

We went skiing. OK beeg deal. Well chicos it is for me because I is back! Yes I went up last year once and did OK for a cripple. But this year I wolfed down some cortisone and did some pretty quick runs down the black slope... OK it was a not very black... black slope but I did good enough for me to have major back spasms on the way up on the chair lift over and over again. I am glad the slopes were basically empty because my fellow chairlift travelers would have though I was having a heart attack or a religious experience or both. By the way the place we went to was super fabulous... Vall de Nuria. OK not much to speak of run wise but it so beautiful and the only way in is by rack railroad. The Pyrenees are just too wonderful for words. Little mini mountains with happy shepherds and mountain sheep. And great chow!


Anyway the last half day I rented a snowboard and walked up and slid down the bunny slope until I got it. So I have decided its time to retire the ski equipment and buy a bong and go riding. I don´t know what it is with the big flat stick but it just feels so much better. Look, fundamentally you can only do perfect turns. I have been skiing for 20 years and I think I have been happy with a turn like maybe 3 times. OK I have high standards but the whole Zen, doper aesthetic just seems right right now. The boots are big, floppy and comfortable. The board is easy to lug around and you can use it for a coffee table when you are not riding... man.


The other thing that was enlightening was that I basically had no arthritis related pain... OK thighs on fire and the aforementioned labor pains yeah but no joint stuff. Before my hips were killing me and my right ankle was a little rough and the left knee was reminding who was the boss... but on the slopes I completely forgot about it and the euphoria has kept on going for a week. So as far as I am concerned it`s full tilt action man from now on. I am going up again this week. Just me, my pal Mick's board, my new "on sale" boots and my bong... man.

2 comments:

James Fish said...

Also, try beer bonging....
Have you tried that?
Drinking and biking are a good pair too.
Anyway, loved to hear about your ski trip. Not much of a skier myself, can count my experiences on one hand. Half of them were snow board trips, loved the sliding and gliding and grooving moving. Way cool!!!
Brings out the 'dude' in me.
My Inner "D!"

Robin Willis said...

Dude I am from like Portland. AKA beervana... are you referring to "shotgunning"? I will add a howto if the crowd is interested.