Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Dissing.

At my friend Lucy's insistence I just finished watching a DVD about Catalunya's own Ferran Adria, perhaps the most famous chef in the world. The show was hosted by "Kitchen Confidential's" Anthony Bourdain. Lucy served as a field producer and translator and even had a substantial on camera roll. And Lucy... You looked fabulous.

OK yes my perceptions about the fundamental notion of food were unalterably changed. It's that simple. He has reinvented cooking... And eating. But so many other things went though my mind as I watching the show. This guy and his team are the same time artists, physicists, neurobiologists, craftsmen, magicians, jesters, jugglers, strategists, entertainers...

A bigger question for me was why are we, sorry, why am I afraid of anything that is radically new. I've been respecting but at the same dissing Ferran Adria for years. It's not pretense, Adria is a simple guy from a very, very working class suburb of Barcelona. It's pure creativity. Like Richard Feynman. Or, what's an art analogy for Richard Feynman? Picasso, no too sophisticated. Too calculated. Marcel Duchamp. That's it. There is so much whimsy in Adria's work. It's childlike. It's simple. It's playful. And like good science it's seems like magic. There are lessons to be learned here. Yes indeed.

1 comment:

JacquelineC said...

Hi- thought I'd say hello and invite you to peruse my comments on the Ferran Adria show that aired on Anthony Bourdain's show recently. I think you and I had some similar reactions.

Jacqueline
http://gourmetfood.suite101.com (a short discussion just begun) and
http://leatherdistrictgourmet.blogspot.com
longer post....

cheers!