Friday, July 21, 2006

Habla Espanol?

Sometimes I don't know what is wrong with me. A confession. A real confession. Hablo espanol muy malo.

Let's face it I'm the poster boy for a strange malady which does not allow me to acquire a second language.

I have this friend Alan who is Scottish. Alan speaks English, French, German, Spanish and Catala. Alan has never had one lesson in any of these languages nor has he ever cracked a book regarding this.

I have another friend Evert. Evert is Dutch. Evert speaks Dutch, French, English, Spanish and maybe Catala but I am not sure. Evert told me that he never took one lesson is Spanish.

I have another friend Mark, Mark is British. Mark speaks English and Spanish and he too has never taken a lesson.

Now lets look at me. I have taken months if not years of classes. I have bought a library full of books and software. I have 3 hours of intercambio every week. I have had tutors and the support of many,many Spanish and Catalan friends. My wife is French. She has a huge family. They have all for the most part been very, very... understanding.

But I still suck big time when it comes to other languages.

Is there something I am missing? Is it my wiring? Should I be taking some special vitamins? Smoking some special dope?

Does anybody have any insight about this?

1 comment:

Alaleh said...

let's face it it's not as dramatic as a catalan not being able to speak english and living in chicago... :)